Pilonidal Sinus Treatment
Pilonidal sinus is a quite common condition occurring among young adults. It leads to an abscess or continuous discharge, so the best and most reliable solution is surgery.
What is Pilonidal sinus?
Natal cleft refers to the region between buttocks. A pilonidal sinus is a condition when the hairs grow in the natal cleft, or random hairs fall and accumulate in the area. These hairs are the carrier of bacteria which, can result in the infection and inflammation of that area. Sometimes, an abscess forms with pus that drains through the sinus (tunnel) out towards the skin.
What are the causes of Pilonidal sinus?
- The family history of this condition
- Occur more commonly in males as females
- Sedentary lifestyle aand obesity
- sitting for long hours at a stretch for example while Driving, or IT professionals
- Thick body hair particularly those that are curly and coarse
- Previous injury in the area
- A deep cleft between buttocks
- History of prior Pilonidal cyst
What are the symptoms of Pilonidal sinus?
- Repeated episodes of swelling or pain in the area of the tailbone.
- pus-like yellow discharge or bloody discharge from the region that may be foul smelling
- Sore lump under the skin in that area
- Certain exercises such as doing sit-ups or cycling may be very uncomfortable.
How is Pilonidal Sinus diagnosed?
A history of symptoms that is done prior to a visual examination of the tailbone area is adequate for diagnosing a Pilonidal sinus.
Pilonidal Sinus Treatment Options
What are the alternatives to surgery?
Taking care of the hygiene of the natal cleft on a daily basis and can greatly help in prevention of an infection.Occasional release of secretions from the site can be treated with the help of antibiotics.The procedure for draining of an abscess is also an option
What are the advantages of having a surgery?
Surgery is the safest way of removing the infected pockets and pilonidal sinus.
What is Laser Pilonidoplasty ?
- In Laser Pilonidoplasty a small incision is done and all the pus and skin is drained out.
- The whole sinus tract is then sealed with the help of a laser fibre.
- It is a minimally invasive method.
Advantages of Laser Pilonidoplasty
- Patient is sent from the hospital within 24 hours and can return to his normal routine work by the 5th day. You can get pilonidal sinus surgery in Gurgaon at an affordable rate
- The healing of the wound occurs in around 6-8 weeks and therefore recovery is much faster in comparison to the conventional surgery.
- The rate of Recurrence is negligible.
Excision with Primary Closure
- In this procedure of pilonidal cyst surgery, the sinus and the abscess are removed surgically and the wound is closed with the help of stitches.
- The stitch line is optionally kept off the midline, where there are less tension and better chances of healing.
- This technique is advantageous as it offers better healing.
- The basic disadvantage is that the infection rate is about 20-25%.
- In the case of an infection, a review procedure is carried out and the wound is left open for faster healing.
What will happen during the operation?
This procedure is done under general anaesthetic, this procedure generally takes about half an hour to one hour for completion, during this the surgeon will take out the sinus along with the infected tissue.
Risks and Complications
Any complications or risks will be discussed prior to your treatment with your expert consultant.Recovery
Normally, you will be able to return home within a day of the operation and go back to work in a period of 1 week.
Regular exercising can help in the healing process and help you continue daily activities as early as possible. However, before starting your exercise regime, you need to take advice from your doctor.
Please be informed that the pilonidal sinus can revisit in the future.