What is constipation? and how to get rid of it!!!!
Constipation is a common problem since it is one of the most prevalent of all gastrointestinal issues. It affects up to 20% of the population.
To help you understand the symptoms and treatments for Constipation, this article will discuss the following:
- What is constipation?
- Why do we get constipated?
- What are the signs and symptoms of constipation?
- How to prevent constipation?
What is Constipation?
A condition in which stool becomes hard, dry, and difficult to pass, and bowel movements don’t happen very often. Other symptoms may include painful bowel movements, and feeling bloated, uncomfortable, and sluggish
Why do we get constipated?
To understand why constipation occurs, we need to learn about its causes. There are many theories but no conclusive evidence yet due to lack of research on this subject.
Constipation is often caused by diet, certain medications or diseases such as irritable bowel syndrome. Constipation also occurs when people do not drink enough fluids and the colon absorbs too much water which leads to changes in stool consistency.
Constipation happens when rectal muscles contract without discordantly during passage of stool. Lot of factors can cause this abnormal muscle contraction , such as
- Not drinking enough fluids,
- Not having enough fibre in your diet,
- Poor sleep habits or lack of sleep,
- Lack of exercise and physical activity,
- Hormonal changes.
Common problems related to Constipation
Constipation can lead to a barrage of health issues, including hemorrhoids, Anal fissure, stomach problem, and rectal prolapse. Management of constipation is vital for maintaining general well-being.
Hemorrhoids, Fissure & Anal Fistula are a painful and frustrating condition that affects millions of Indians every year. The pain can be debilitating, sometimes even preventing patients from getting out of bed or going to work. While hemorrhoids may be a relatively common condition, many people still don’t know how to treat them correctly.
When to see a Doctor in gastrointestinal and rectal issues?
- Pain while passing stools
- Bleeding with or after stool
- Passage of very hard stool
- Pus coming from anywhere near your anus
- Sensation of some mass/tissue coming out of your anus
How do we prevent constipation?
If you suffer from constipation, follow these steps to help you prevent or stop the condition:
– Add more fibre to your diet such as whole grains, vegetables, fruits and legumes
– Increase physical activity.
– Drink plenty of fluids and water